The 13th Battalion Ceremonial Guard was formed to honour the history of The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (W.R.) and to help celebrate one of Canada’s oldest and still active pre-confederation infantry regiments.
The members of the 13th Bn CG or Hamilton’s “Old 13th” are not “Re-enactors”. All are current serving members of the Canadian Army with the RHLI, and whose primary duties are with the Rifle Companies. The 13th Bn CG remains a secondary duty. Many of the Soldiers of the Guard, while maintaining their regular duties and year round present day Infantry Training are also Infantry Instructors at both the 31 Canadian Brigade Group, Battle School and the 4th Canadian Division Training Center. Many have served in Afghanistan, Bosnia and on other U.N. and NATO Overseas Missions, as well as many Domestic Operations within Canada. The only major historical discrepancy of note is that as the uniform that the Guard wears is an authorized Dress Uniform for our Regiment, we must wear our modern day Medals, Campaign Stars , Citations and Decorations. Sometimes we forget and wear our watches too. The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment) was gazetted on December 11th, 1862 as the 13th Battalion of Volunteer Militia (Infantry) Canada and is now commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Gary M. McQueen, B.A.SC., MBA, P.ENG., CD.
The RHLI 13th Bn CG was stood up in 2008 with the kind permission of the Commanding Officer and is supported by the XIII Regimental Foundation. The Guard wears the uniform, carries the weapons and performs the foot, rifle and tactical drills of the period when the Regiment was first formed in 1862.